Current Openings at Borderless Magazine
Volunteer Board Members
WANTED: Visionary Chicagoans to support the work of journalism publication doing critical work reporting on immigration.
Borderless Magazine NFP is seeking new board members to fill both officer and non-officer positions. This is a volunteer position that requires a 8 to 10 hours per month commitment. Board members will join a community of people who are passionate about immigration coverage and change. People of color and people from immigrant communities are especially encouraged to apply.
We are looking for board members that will be cheerleaders for our work. They will partner with us in our work to illustrate the lives of immigrants and affect change in our nation’s policy. Board members will join our community, support us, see us grow and thrive, and help us bring in donations to make our journalism possible.
Borderless Magazine NFP is an award-winning nonprofit news outlet that is reimagining immigration journalism for a more just and equitable future. We humanize stories of immigration by shining light on the diversity, resilience and resistance of people impacted by immigration policies today. We report and publish stories in our online publication, we work with immigrants and their allies to tell their own stories, and we train journalists to more ethically report on immigration issues.
About the Position
Board members provide strategic governance, oversight and accountability for the organization as a whole and ensure that Borderless is working toward its mission. The board also acts as an ambassador and cheerleader for the organization and its main fundraising team.
The board serves as the governing body of Borderless Magazine NFP and is made up of officers (president, treasurer, secretary) as well as non-officers. Officer positions require a higher level of time commitment and experience. Non-officers have the opportunity to learn and gain experience in board work and then potentially move up to officer positions.
While day-to-day operations are led by Borderless Magazine’s executive director, the Board-executive director relationship is a partnership. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Talking through strategic growth decisions and helping develop growth plans
- Actively soliciting donations and promote Borderless Magazine’s work
- Taking part in quarterly board meetings, where members will be expected to review outcomes and metrics created by Borderless Magazine for evaluating its impact and measure its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board meetings
- Approving Borderless Magazine’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the executive director
- Assisting the executive director and board president in identifying and recruiting other Board Members; reviewing potential Board Members’ applications and helping interview applicants
- Ensuring Borderless Magazine’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Borderless Magazine serves, including immigrants
- Bring $100 annually into the organization in the form of either a personal donation or money raised from others
Borderless Magazine’s Board Members will serve terms between one and three years long and will be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings are held four times a year.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Have a deep understanding of the role of immigrant communities in America and an interest in media and journalism coverage
- An understanding of the complexities of organizational decision making
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Borderless Magazine’s readers and those we serve
Ideal candidates will also have significant experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Marketing and audience growth (particularly for nonprofits or media outlets)
- Nonprofit fundraising
- Human resources
- Law (particularly human resources, nonprofit governance, or media law)
To apply, please send your resume and a letter of interest to email@example.com. Your letter of interest should answer the following questions:
- Why do you want to join Borderless Magazine as a volunteer board member?
- What skills or experiences would you bring to Borderless Magazine as a board member?
Applications are due by July 6 at 11:59 PM CST.